Friday, September 15, 2006

Sarai Reader 06: The theme is "Turbulence"

Amardeep Singh, Assistant Professor of English at Lehigh University has created one of the best literary blogs. I check it out at least once a day. Thanks to this entry in his blog I came to know about issue #6 of Sarai Reader. The articles are available in pdf format.

I have just seen A Candle in my Window by Peter Griffin, whose articles I often read in The Times of India. Peter writes about collaborative blogs and how he and his online friends started an online initiative named Tsunamihelp which evolved into the South-East Asia Earthquake and Tsunami Blog (SEA-EAT blog). A fascinating read. It shows how some of us have harnessed the awesome power of the internet to make a positive difference to the lives of the less fortunate.

Amardeep recommends A City Feeding on itself: Testimonies and Histories of 'Direct Action' Day by Debjani Sengupta. A horrifying account of the riots that took place in Calcutta in 1946.

In Poetry In a Time of Terror the Shillong based Manipuri poet Robin S Ngangom writes of the pain and trauma that the people of his state are going through.


And there are the previous issues too
Reader 1 has 'The Public Domain' as its theme.
Reader 2 has 'The Cities of Everyday Life' as its theme.
Reader 3 has 'Shaping Technologies' as its theme.
Reader 4 has 'Crisis/Media' as its theme.
Reader 5 has 'Bare Acts' as its theme.

Plenty of good stuff here folks. Click away. Thanks Amardeep.

p.s. This happens to be my first post in Neti Neti. Here's looking forward to a long and fruitful association.

4 comments:

Rajesh said...

Plenty of interesting links here Dev. Will take a bit of time to go through them.

A very warm welcome for a really long and fruitful association hereafter.

Sumita said...

Thank you Dev.

A warm welcome. Look forward to more from you....

I have been reading Amardeep's writing for a while now. He also writes on sepiamutiny, which I follow. He is wonderful to read....

Sunil said...

Welcome Dev.
Thanks for the links, In my experience the Indian blogs burn me with the discussion that follows, not the view per se. There seems almost an inherent neurosis to be self righteous than a rational discourse.
I shall however cast my skepticism aside and take a look at the links.

Dev said...

Thanks for the warm welcome folks. Touched.